Monday, October 29, 2007

Bear 2

I’m a woolly bear caterpillar and I live in Corsier Por,t Switzerland. People say I am a good predictor of weather, but all I know, I want a nice place to hibernate. Okay, so because today was sunny and warm, and I decided to crawl across the grey-black path with the white stripe down the middle to the vineyard.
All of a sudden the sun went out and I saw a shadow of a monster in a black leather coat. At least she didn’t step on me, so I continued my way to the end of the sidewalk.

Whoops. I fell off the curb. That hurt.

The grey-black path looked endless, but I knew on the other side I would be able to find my winter home.

My mother had warned me about the grey-black path, talking about noisy machines with four round thingies that lived to crush little caterpillars like me, but as I always say, “Nothing ventured nothing gained.”

The monster bent down. She put a white something in front of me. I thought about going around it, but that would have been too much work so I crawled on it.

All of a sudden I was flying on a magic carpet of white. My stomach did flip flops, but it only lasted a minute until the carpet came to rest in the grass.

I sat there a moment, not sure of what happened, but the monster tipped the magic carpet and I tumbled ever so gently into the grass.

I still have no idea what happened. My friends tell me I dreamed it, but I know that this morning I was on the other side of the grey-black path, and tonight I will settle into my winter home. I call it a miracle. Now I just want to go to sleep, and when the spring sun comes, I will build the cocoon my mother told me about. She showed me the plans.

You’ll have to excuse me. I’m really sleepy.

No comments: