Friday, October 05, 2007

LWB 5 Lunch at La Reserve


Most of the boutiques and restaurants are shuttered for the season, although a few places like La Reserve stay open all year round. This building has been there for years (there are sepia pictures of it with women in long dresses standing outside) going through many incarnations.

One of my favourite memories is being there with my French daughter and my Japanese Chins the late Albert and Amadeus one February when it was mild enough to eat on the terrace. I had tied “the boys” leashes to my chair and left to go to the toilet, just as Amadeus spied a dog playing on the sand. He ran to join the dog taking both Albert and the chair with him.
Today most of the beach was deserted, not wall-to-wall blankets and bronzing bodies. One lone man was flying his kite. I watched it swoop and dive in the wind. If you look click on the photo and look closely you can just see it. The day was greyish, not the brilliant blue I am used to making the image of the mountains murky. The bright yellow and green napkins stuck in glasses was a bright contrast to the dullness outside.
It was toss up between ordering magret de canard or crevettes plaxa. I can get the latter at other restaurants, but that is only the restaurant that cooks the duck in a special honey/orange sauce. The duck won.

No comments: