Sunday, October 21, 2007

Saving energy

With each bad news announcement on climate change, I try to consume less. I already use the minimum standby appliances or at least unplug them. According to the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab Stand-by power consumes 5 percent of all residential energy use in the United States, which means that electricity bills are 5% higher than they need to be. Also I try and use as few appliances as possible, however what I do use I don’t want to give up. I made a list of the appliances I use in Argelès.

  • Water heater (no way would I give that up)
  • Stove top
  • Stove
  • Food processor (the one non cooking appliance that I consider indispensable)
  • Washing machine
  • Frigo (but with an A rating on consumption and it’s as small as I can find to meet my needs)
  • Lamps (the flat was too dark for too long, although it is only necessary to light where I am and not the other side of the flat. Now I can see my needlework after the sun goes down.)
  • Wall heater/air conditioner used as little as possible I was thrilled that I only needed about three hours of air-conditioning this summer, but had the temperature gone up, it would have gone on in a flash. In cold weather, it is better to wear a sweater than keep it too hot. I find I get less colds too. 65°F is a good level
  • Television
  • Radio/CD player
  • Computer
  • Printer
  • Iron
  • Hair dryer
  • Hair curler

I do not feel deprived that I don’t have an electric can opener, or garbage disposal, although sometimes I would love a fluffy machine dried towel or an electrical kettle so I can say to a guest, “I’ll put the kettle on.” However, the latter, I can’t say is electricity saving. It would take up just that much more space and having my counter top almost empty so I have room when I cook is more of a priority. In fact the less I have, the less there is to worry about, the less there is to keep clean, etc.

There is more electrical stuff in Geneva because it is a house with three people so there is a dryer so I do get fluffy towels sometimes and more office equipment, but even there we try and turn everything standby off, keep the heat low, etc. And on a cold day, there’s always the cat to crawl up your lap and warm us with her purrs.

No comments: