Monday, February 18, 2008

The book of life


Death doesn’t fascinate me…but how different cultures treat it does. Whenever I visit a new country, I like to visit a graveyard and a supermarket.
What has always intrigued me about French graves are the plaques. Some are simple with the names of the deceased their dates of birth and death, often with a photo imbedded as on the shot to the right, making me feel like I met them. They can be simple polished stone, metal or ceramic.
Some are fanciful. A farmer’s name might be inscribed next to an etching of a man on a tractor, or a motorcycle enthusiast might have a bas relief of a motorcycle.
Other family members, friends, associates also buy plaques with messages. In one graveyard I learned that the deceased was 19, killed in a car accident and was a local football hero.
This one talks about the book of life, of how we can’t go back or change what it is written.

No comments: