Friday, May 09, 2008

Yeh(s) Boo(s)


A Yeh Boo week if I’ve ever had one. My desk top tells it all.

Boo 1: See the white book with the orange dot. That’s my Livebox, which is dead. It is also my modem. It is not dead because it is broken. My outside line is defective. It doesn’t matter why, I can’t connect to internet, my lifeline for my work and my friendships if not my news. The man at France Telecom told me (at lightning speed and repeatedly until he got the idea that 100 words a minute would work better than if he tried to talk to me at 300 words a minute) it was an outside line and maybe just maybe by next Wednesday they would be able to fix it. Fill in your own expletives then yell them several times for me.

Yeh 1: My favourite café has wifi access.

Boo 2: See the medicine. I hate taking any kind of pills, think most of them are more dangerous than the disease, however, when shingles (called Azone in French and pronounced Ah- zone-ah) have caused my left eye to close, those pills look outright yummy. And the cream is as soothing as ice cream on a sore throat.

Yeh 2: The French health system. When I first checked with the doctor he wasn’t sure, so he had me come back (it’s a three minute walk from my flat) four times over three days. The cost was one visit 22 Euros and a man who was determined to get it right before giving me an incorrect treatment. The medicine however was 111 Euros which makes it Boo 2.5

Yeh 3: The program for Cinemaginaire film festival at my local movie house, another three-minute walk. This year they are concentrating on movies about the senses. I’ve seen Huston’s Reflection in a Golden Eye, Tous les hommes sont des Romans (All the men are novels) a French film about two women, one who lives in her head, one who is sensual and how their friendship makes them incorporate). The director talked about the technical and budgetary problems in making the film (he had a walk-on roll to save a salary). The French director Luc Besson did make the comment that film making in the US is a business, in France it is an art form. I agree, although some French films fall far short of art, but then many US films fall far short of good business deals.
They also had a series of shorts done by the local film studio. Considering it was the first time any of the pupils had ever done film making, the shorts were anywhere from adequate to quite good. Of course, there was the fun of seeing Marike’s goats and Danielle, my fishmonger in supporting roles. Today I will see films from the US and Argentina. So far this will cost a total of 16 Euros.

If you add up the yehs and boos the yehs are ahead by .5, which I can live with.

2 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Poor you! Get well soon! I was wondering why there hadn't been that many posts...
M

Merc said...

I just tagged you. No worries if you don't want to play, though. Get well, mate! And happy Mum's Day.