Friday, September 11, 2009

So many times what I need is in front of me

I will admit leaving Florida was both a joy and sadness. I could hardly wait to escape the heat and the environment, but I hated leaving my mother. Many of the people I had talked to were nice but from another planet to everything I hold near and dear and enjoy. Watching C-Span had left me feeling down and thinking the US is no longer capable of solving its myriad problems.

I had an aisle seat and crammed into the two seats next to me were two oversized men. One was reading The Bible.

Oh no, a religious righter, I thought.

Okay, once again I was reminded not to prejudge. The three of talked the entire trip. (the other man was on his way North for the funeral of his 97 year old grandmother).

The conversation was the first in depth talk I'd had since I left Switzerland. I refuse to put the term Liberal on the men, because labels are part of the problem, but ethical, caring, intelligent, insightful, knowledgeable and most important hopeful in a realistic way on what can be accomplished at many levels of society.

If there is a god or goddess of healing, he or she placed those two men there for me. I am not sure I brought them anything, but I will try and function the same way to someone else someday.

1 comment:

C. said...

Nice and hopeful ending to your post. it's a good point about labels and prejudging, I will to remember too!