Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A can of dreams



I know this looks like an ordinary tin can...but inside you will find Euros and Swiss francs. They look like ordinary money, but they are more. They are dreams.

Years ago, my step mom and dad played a lot of gin rummy. Both were card sharks that if they wanted to could go on a professional card playing circuit, but they were happy as a salesman and school secretary. The loser had to put 10 cents in a kitty. The games paid for holidays in Hawaii, California and a bunch of other things.

When I told my housemate this, we decided to start a kitty using this can. Instead of winnings, I threw in two CHF whenever I didn't go to a restaurant for lunch. Her contribution was when she didn't go out for coffee. We added money in dispute. Usually those discussions are like this...

I owe you...
No you don't.
Yes I do for...
No you don't.
Yes I do, don't you remember?
No...
Put it in the can

At first we used it for special meals, until we hit on the idea of taking it for our get-away trips. The first time we used it was in Iceland so once the tickets were paid for it seemed as if everything else on the trip was free. Thus the can has emptied and filled emptied and filled and fed us well in various other places

Right now it is filling for our October trip to Northern Germany. I can taste the hot potato salad now...

No comments: