Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It was sooooooooooooo easy

I'm a change saver...

Change put me through grad school. Change takes me on holidays. Change means I save a couple of thousand or more each year.

Change also gives me headaches when I take it to out OCDered postman. He needs to check, recheck, check his checking. I would not be surprised if he bit each coin to test its mettle. Once he called me on the telephone because after yet another check he found me 10 centimes over.

Today I had about 300 CHF in change to deposit. As much as I want to support my local PO, I couldn't face it. I took it to the PO in Vesernaz. The woman smiled, slapped each roll on the scale, found one packet had 10 centimes too much, gave it back to me, wham bam the money was in my account.

Equally fast she slapped stamps on two envelopes without checking my handwriting and pushed through a payment for tickets for a play I want to go to next month. The entire thing took less than three minutes.

No sighs, no pained expressions at the idea something might be terribly wrong and bring down the entire Swiss postal system.

Bonne journée, she said. It was.

1 comment:

Melissa Miller said...

How could anyone ever forget our infamous postman? The picture of Swiss precision, he is likely held in the highest regard by those that matter most. As for the rest of us, we are left to stew in our questionable penmanship and other gross approximations of perfection. I, too, made the trip to Vesenaz on many an occasion. It was worth trip.