Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Friends

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm paranoid about having anything near my eyes. Wearing mascara is impossible because I can't stand to get the little brush near my eyes. It took my dermatologist more than 35 minutes to remove a growth near my eyes in what should have been a few seconds job.

I tend to hit my ophthalmologist during an eye exam, assuming he can get near enough me to examine my eyes.

I'm a normal patient with all other kinds of doctors.

Thus facing surgery on both eyes, on what is a simple operation for sane people, but causes terror in me, the doctor decided the best course was to knock me out. I think he envisioned chasing me around the operating room or dragging me out from under the car in the garage to work on me.

On the positive side, I've been totally touched by my friends reaction. My housemate decided to stay home from an event in case I needed anything. Another friend was more than willing to stay with me until I took off the bandages. My Indian friends asked not IF they could help (go in my place was not an option) but what they could do, and another friend hearing about it from a mutual friend, wrote words of encouragement and offered me a free massage (which she does) if that would help.

My new mantra to get me through until the 24th and 3rd (two surgeries) is I'll be able to see well again I'll be able to see well again. I'll be able to see well again...

Don't anyone mention the word eyedrops, please...

1 comment:

GP Whittaker said...

Yikes, I can Identify with you totally. I almost passed out in the health pavilion at Expo 67 (does this age me or what?) when I viewed a movie involving eye surgery. You can imagine how much I dreaded seeing my husband's eye un-bandaged after recent cataract surgery . . . and to top things off I had to put administer the drops and ointment. It was all good training for what we have gone through with our Bichon Frise who developed an eye tumour two weeks ago. While my husband held her eye open, I had to administer morphine drops and ointment every eight hours. I now feel like a pro in that department. I wish you the best with your surgery. Hopefully you have as good results as my husband.

Mighty Mom's Mum