Saturday, September 24, 2011

From D to A

I know, I know...

It's usually A to Z or A to B, but yesterday it was definitely a backwards alphabet situation.

My plane into Frankfort was late leaving me less than 20 minutes between flights. Anyone who has been through Frankfort knows--it's huge--a mega airport.

I came into terminal D. The board for my Geneva flight was A.

GULP!

Thanking all the travel gods and goddesses that I had checked my carry on suitcase and only had my laptop case, I started the dash. Why do they wax airport floors? No, I didn't fall, but I skidded.

The passport control line was long. I mustered my best German to ask a man if I could cut in front of him. "You can, but this is the EU line," he said.

I held up my Swiss passport, which although not EU lets me into the EU line and he let me in. I told him I wished that someone would do something wonderful for him that day.

I glanced at the clock as the line inched forward. Boarding had started 15 minutes before. They waved me through.

Another mad dash only to come to security. I chose the shorter of the two lines and got through with amazing speed. Five minutes till take off.
,
I then ran the rest of the distance. The people of the desk plunked my boarding pass on the machine to read the bar code, pointed me to stairs that I ran down. The stairs led to a door that was closing just as the bus taking us out to the plane was ready to leave. Bursting through the building doors, the driver opened the doors for me.

When I worked for Interskill years before running to meet a plane was normal. That I haven't lost the ability, is good...but if I don't need to do it again, it will be more than okay.

No comments: