Monday, March 17, 2014

I don't know why




Rick worked well after 4 am to make a deadline.

After he came to bed I had one of those indepth dreams which includes smells, sounds, colours and a mixture of things from now, the past and never.

I was living on Pratt Street in Reading. Llara was about 10 (although we left the house when she was under two).

I woke up in my second story bedroom (it was a one story house) to discover the front door. There were teenagers in the house.

I made it out onto the street screaming but no one woke up. I knocked on Dick Chesley's door. (in reality it was the neighbour's next door house Chesley had lived across the street. He used to let his dog roam. She'd come up to our house and our German Shepherd and she would go at it through the glass, and I'd come home to a broken pane and Dick would change it for me. Neither dog was in the dream.)

I apologized for waking him, explained, and asked to call the police. He had a rotary stand-up (like Julia's mother) but I had to use an ear bud, which kept disconnecting from the phone.

(I can't remember what Chesley looked like in reality.) In the dream he was about 50, thin, balding.)



I'd brought with me three small boys whom I'd also found in the house. They were aged 5,7 and 9. Tow heads. One fell asleep. I knew I need to give them to the authorities, because little boys that age shouldn't be out breaking into houses. They wouldn't tell me anything about their parents.

I called the Reading Police and told them I was the ex-wife of a cop. The female dispatcher kept asking me questions including what kind of birth control I used. I grew more and more frustrated.



Dick, who was wearing a beige tattered bathrobe asked me if I wanted coffee. The house was very messy and very crowded with furniture some of it dark green and there were a lot of newspapers around. The photo gives the feeling, just change the colour of the furniture.

Only one light was on, a rather large table lamp. He went to make me coffee.

The phone disconnected and I redialed. I couldn't be sure what the police number but for a second I thought it was 944-0188 which was my childhood number. (I'm bad at remembering phone numbers including current ones but I remember that number and my old Boston one 731-1130.

This time I connected with the fire department and a man named Sam (not the Sam I knew) was the dispatcher. His questions were more to the point, but no one seemed in any hurry to do anything about either the kids in my house or the three little boys.

I've no idea whatsoever where the dream came from or why.


No comments: