Thursday, September 27, 2018

Necco wafers



The Boston Globe reported that the Necco factory equipment was going to be sold off.

It was never my favorite candy, preferring anything chocolate such as Snickers of Three Musketeers.  Still every now and then, I would buy a roll ignoring the licorice for the lemon, orange or purple clove.

My memories of Necco are more when I worked for the Polaroid Credit Union in Central Square, Cambridge. The artist I worked closely with was located in Central Square and the walk took about the same time as backtracking to the Kendall Square T-Stop and waiting for the Red Line.

The smell of sugar baking from the Necco factory accompanied me on the walk. Inhaling was a pleasure.

There's a sadness at its demise. The company started in 1847 by Oliver Chase who had invented a wafer cutting machine. The name was Hub Wafers and were a favorite of Civil War soldiers. Likewise in WWII the U.S. government issued them to soldiers.

Chase's company merged with the New England Confectionery Company, and the name changed to Necco. It has been bought and resold many times over the decades.

Financial problems led to its latest sale. On my birthday of this  year, production stopped. Spangler Candy of Bryan, OH bought the brand name and will recreate the wafers sometime in November 2019.

I know the original formula has been changed. The wafers are said to be softer and no artificial colors and flavors are included.

Maybe in 2019 The American Store in Geneva will carry them, although if they don't it will not be a tragedy. I still prefer chocolate, only my tastes have advanced to Swiss Chocolate made locally and lovingly. But the memory of the burnt sugar smell on my walks from Kendal to Central Square, will always be there.

No comments: