Friday, December 21, 2018

Christmas Take 6

This is Rick's and my sixth Christmas together.

Tonight is the winter solstice and we have our solstice bush (tomorrow it will be a Christmas tree) decorated.


Because we were in Geneva, we were afraid of not getting a small enough tree, Galdric, our local florist, saved one for us that turned out to be perfect.

The tree has the wooden decorations that my daughter and I painted when she was three. Hers still have to be on the tree. Staying in the lines isn't important when you're three and maybe at other ages too. Also there is a sheep made by my former assistant's daughter, and an ornament offered by an eight-year old twin who came to our tree decorating party last year.

And there are the stockings Llara lovingly embroidered for Rick and I. Years ago when she made mine, this one was originally suppose to be hers, but after my Japanese Chin Albert peed on it, she washed the yarn and gave it to me.

Rick and I have been adding our own decorations. My favorite is Santa in a kilt bought during our month in Edinburgh.  I look at him and I can almost hear the bagpipes.

We don't put lights on the tree. I don't put live candles either, although many Swiss do. When I got my Swiss nationality, there were some traditions that did not automatically become part of my DNA, and that is one. Working for the National Fire Protection Association a few decades back seeps through on it is a bit too dangerous.

The Christmas carols playing the fire in the chimera on the patio right outside the window all made the evening special. With Rick, however, many things that might be considered by others as ordinary are special for no other reason than we share them.

Some years I've hosted a big meal. Some years we've eaten at others' homes. Some years we've gone to a restaurant, but this year we are doing something different.

Christmas Eve will be raclette, champagne and present opening. We decided to follow the Icelandic tradition of giving a book, then going to bed and reading it. Since Rick and I often share what it is written as examples of good, bad, funny, sad writing it will be a nice together night.

Christmas day we are going to Sigean, a drive-thru African park. I've been there before and am looking forward to sharing it with him. The restaurant is open. If for any reason we can't get a meal that satisfies us, we'll have a chicken ready at home as back up.

Boxing Day we've been invited to a buffet lunch with friends.

Then the days will begin to grow longer, the new year will begin. Life is good.






No comments: