Thursday, January 17, 2019

Maura D'Orlando


Maura O'Connor D'Orlando is my second character in Day Care, the story of four single moms who form a support team to make life easier. For the interview, we find her in the emergency room of a hospital where her daughter has been brought because she could not stop throwing up.

Me: How is your daughter.

MOCDO: They've stopped the vomiting. As usual she'll have to stay until she's no longer dehydrated.

Me: That's good. What causes it?

MOCDO: I don't know. I just wish I could get them to make it more seriously. I mean, this happens every few weeks. The last attack was only two weeks ago.

Me: Isn't it hard to work when she's in the hospital so often?

MOCDO: I suppose I am lucky that my boss is understanding. Probably because he had a kid that had cancer once. Thank God his son has been clean for six years now.

Me: Where do you work?

MOCDO: At a real estate agency, only job I've ever had. We couldn't afford for me to go to college. My dream was be a photographer, but that wasn't practical. I'm trying to get my real estate license to make more money. That's practical.

Me: What about your husband?

MOCDO: Ex-husband. He left me for another woman. Not even one younger. Can you imagine? She's three years older than he is.

Me: That's tough.

MOCDO: At least he's almost good with support payments. He doesn't see Violet much and I suspect he does see her at all because his mother, a good Italian mama, would kill him if he didn't.
Me: How did you meet him?

MOCDO: He was two years ahead of me in high school. Teenage hormones and all that. I should have listened to my family when they said he wasn't good husband material.

Me: What does he do?

MOCDO: He's a hairdresser. Has his own salon. It does okay.

Me: What about your family?

MOCDO: My Mom and Dad are great. Good Irish Catholics. They help me financially when they can, but I don't like to ask too often because they've scraped for everything they have. My sister and brother resent them helping me, but they are doing so much better financially than I am.

Me: What do you think about. . .

Before Maura can answer, the doctor comes out of Violet's room and says she can go back in.  I thank her for her time and wish her luck. She smiles, but it is a tired smile. I want to hug her and wish her courage but that would slow her getting back to her daughter.

No comments: