Thursday, March 21, 2019

Eating books

People have said I eat books. I do read a lot and for fun and information.

One of the disadvantages of living outside a mother-tongue area is feeding my habit. Even though I can get books, they aren't always the ones I would buy at the moment, if my selection choices are larger.
  • There are limited stores with English books, usually marked up
  • Ordering by mail ups the cost. 
  • Kindle is a good alternative especially if I run out of reading material late at night. 
  • The English library in Geneva is a perfect solution for the latest books but we aren't always in Geneva.
  • People share
  • When we're in the UK or Scotland the charity shops 
  • Book exchanges, formal and informal,
However, none of it matches eating Friday night dinner in Harvard Square, listening to the street musicians and then going to any or all of the bookstores to load up for the week.

This month I found a new source.

Crossing the border into France to grocery shop, the supermarket B1 has a book exchange with selections in French, German and English. Between the English Library book sale and B1 I will be able to recirculate most of my books as well as have a new source. A few I keep.

The other day I found a memoir, Life Class, which I began this morning. What a delight.

Out of curiosity, I started listing books I've read and the pages.


It isn't as much as I thought. More of an apèro than a full-course dinner. Still books are delicious.







No comments: