Thursday, March 07, 2019

Other Lives

Rick and I were sitting on benches in the park by The Little Mermaid in Collonge-Bellerive, Switzerland.

Sherlock was running around being de-energize so we could write as he napped.

I have met my three main goals in life (not in order) from the time I was a preteen.
  • Be a writer
  • Live in Europe
  • Have a daughter
It has been a great life, not always easy, but good.

"I sometimes wish," I said to him as Sherlock hopped up between us, "I could have had many other careers."

What are they?
  • Documentary maker
  • Anthropologist
  • History professor
He too mentioned other careers he would have liked, some bordering on the scientific, some technical and of course, golf. Like me, his career has been filled with some meaningful, interesting work.

Although it is possible to have more than one career in a lifetime, responsibilities often negate the chance to do the training. Yet, also if one is willing to make the sacrifices, switches are possible.

To a certain degree, I did that researching history for my novels or reading about some of the things anthropologists do, listening to my friends who were in either field. It is toe-dipping method of cramming a bit more into one life but still enriching.






No comments: