Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Pen


A pen is more than a pen.

People who know me, would be shocked to discover I do collect something--special pens. However, like all things I buy pens must have not one, not two, but three of the necessary attributes I want before purchase. Ideally everything in my home must be:

1. Useful
2. Beautiful
3. Memory

The pen collection started with a silver feather pen at a silent auction during a World Credit Union Conference in Barcelona. Five minutes before closing time, I rushed in and tripled the bid. The money went to credit union development so it became a win-win memory.

When visiting Rennes-Le-Chateau, there was a craftsman who made glass pens.


I bought one, of course. But glass and plume pens are not practical for shoving in a handbag along with a bottle of ink. I do use them, however, for things like thank you notes, or special letters when email just does not carry the same feeling.

My last pen, I left in Argelès, when we went back to Geneva for the winter. I miss it but will see it next month. I am planning to go to La Noisette, order a cup of tea and do some free writing with it.

I found the pen at a Christmas marché in Ferney-Voltaire, Franceand is hand made.

I will admit most of my writing is with the computer, but when I pick up a pen, whether it is a grocery list or a note to Rick saying I'm going _________ and will be back by _________ it is more than ink on paper. Part of my life is leaving my fingers.

Every time I use the new pen, it is a reminder of my husband's gift. It is walking to the marché with my French daughter and her five-year old son holding my hand and talking to me almost adult-adult. It is the sun on my face like it was that day even if it is rainy now.

My husband doesn't always understand why I can't pick up any pen and write, but it is because it is any pen, created in some factory by people I don't know or care about. There's no beauty and less memory from buying a box of pens to be used and thrown away when finished.





No comments: