Sunday, January 19, 2020

dog talk

I've noticed that our mixed breed dog, Sherlock, is talking more and more. His range of barks and yowls have a pattern.

There's a very soft woof when he wants to go out, although it increases in intensity the longer he is ignored. He uses body language too, which includes spinning in a circle then checking to see if we are watching.

Another soft sound is used when standing by his empty food dish.

The yowl started a few months ago. He has a squeak toy and he began making it squeak and then talking back. The toy and Sherlock squeaks increased until he put his head back and yowled, tapping into his inner wolf.

We tried yowling. We yowled together. Then we alternated our yowls. When I did a soft yowl, he yowled softer. He continued to mimic the yowls I did, soft, loud, medium.

I don't know what I was saying. He seemed to be satisfied with my part of the conversation

I know he understands much of what we tell him by his body language. I can tell him he is going to stay in a complete sentence when we are getting ready to go out. He sighs and settles in on the couch.

I know he thinks things out. Something was stuck under a bookcase that he couldn't reach. He went around the corner and looked at the wall which the bookcase rested against, but only for a second before asking us for help in retrieving the object.

Oh, how I wish we could talk more deeply. Having learned to communicate in French, I only wish I could speak fluent dog.




No comments: