Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Human Capital Stock

 Fortunately my daughter in Boston is employed unlike millions of American. Sunday White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett on Sunday called laid-off employees "human capital stock." He wanted people to return to their jobs regardless of the dangers of the Covid-19 pandemic.

There have been times my daughter, through no fault of her own, has been unemployed. I always thought of her by her name or as my daughter during those periods. I realize now I was wrong. She was Human Capital Stock (HCS). 

Or perhaps even as an employed American she is still HCS. Should I stop thinking of her as an individual who makes me laugh often, who does beautiful needlework, who is generous. As HCS can she still love ice cream? 

Wait a minute -- after 9/11 George Bush told people to go shop making people consumers rather than citizens. Is being HCS a demotion?


No comments: