Thursday, May 07, 2020

Too much knowledge


As a kid I loved watching cowboy shows: Gene Autry, Hopalon Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans (“Happy Trails to You”) and of course, the Lone Ranger.
Yesterday, I used the Lone Ranger in a blog about masks. The mystic that no one would ever see his face aroused my curiosity that carried over into adulthood. I wondered did Tonto ever see his face when they slept around the campfire on a moonlit night?
No, I didn’t spend hours every day or even minutes in months wondering what the Lone Ranger really looked like, but everything something would trigger the thought.
When I searched for images of the Lone Ranger for my blog, I wondered if there were a photo of Clayton Moore, so I searched and there were several.
Instead a feeling of mystery solved, there was more a feeling of disappointment. It wasn’t that Moore was bad looking, it was a sense of something should remain hidden.

Cue the "William Tell Overture."

No comments: