Saturday, October 31, 2020

Lockdown list

 

For the second time we are locked down in France. This time it will be until 1 December depending. The last time was March to May.

Unlike last time the restrictions are a little less, but we will be confined to the house except for certain reasons. We've a form we must fill out each time we leave.

Rick is frustrated because he can't play golf. I'm angry because of people who were careless thus increasing the infections. We are both sad because restaurants will be closed.

We worry about our merchant friends whose businesses will suffer, although the French government have helping programs.

On the other hand, I have many things planned.

1. Cooking including apple pie, peanut butter cookies and different slow pot recipes.

2. Thanksgiving: if we can have Lydia and Rosalie as guests we won't sit around the table but spread out more buffet style. If not, we'll cook a dinner and take it to them.


3. We keep things in mason jars rather than plastic. However, I've many and I have no idea what is in them. Half have a note whether it's polenta, couscous, etc. but there's too many where I'm not sure. I intend to empty any whose contents are a mystery.

4. Scrape and paint the window sill in the Nest (my studio originally to be my retirement home.)

5. I've signed up to write a piece of flash fiction every day to prompts.

6. Continue to work on Lexington. It is a fictional bio of the unknown soldier killed at the first battle of the American Revolution. It is slow going, more for the research.

7. Relearn how to play backgammon. When I lived with Susie and Bill, Susie and I went through a phase where every spare moment would be for a game. Later when RB2 and I shared the company apartment in Motiers, Switzerland, we played lots of games with the overall winner treating the loser to Sunday dinner in Pontalier, France, just across the Swiss border.

8. Support Rick as he helps run a three day, two-continent virtual conference. He'll be in the Nest where a barking dog will not add to the presentations. I want to make sure he's well fed and can collapse when he's finished at the end of the day.

9. Read. I am almost at 30,000 words from books (newspapers, magazines aren't counted). I have a backlog of five e-books and several paperbacks. 

Maybe the lockdown will end earlier...or maybe later. It doesn't matter. Each day is a gift and I will make it as happy as possible doing things I love to do and planning to do the things I can't do until the end of the lockdown later.

Stay healthy.

 

No comments: