Thursday, January 14, 2021

Impeachment and peace

 


 

Not so much a new year's resolution but a vow I made is being difficult to keep to.

I wanted to bring more peace and tranquility into my life. 

With my immediate environments it is easy .

When I'm in my French village, the beauty of the mountains, the sea, the ease of walking to everything, of seeing friends on almost every excursion, finding a sense of peace if not joy is easy.

In our Geneva home with our five minute walk to the lake and the view of the Jura and Alps, it is also simple to find a way to replenish my heart and soul.

I try and keep my life simple yet filled with good food, my adorable dog and loving husband. Just looking at them eases my mind.

Over the years, I've been political, fighting for women's rights, expat rights and other injustices. I've kidded I should be renamed Donna Quixote. Now I let the next generation take over.

So what's the problem?

The world intrudes. If many people are generous and loving, there are others out there that are not. Some are outright evil wrecking other people's lives.

So many people were not exposed to the ethics pounded into me by my grandmother. Kindness and sharing were not in their instruction manuals on how to live life.

Try as I might, I cannot cut myself off from what is happening in my birth country. Seeing the lies, the suffering, the rage, I try to pull myself away. For a while we had an off grid day that fell by the way when we needed to be on line for a work reason or something was happening in the news that made not knowing worse than knowing.

When I saw the unsuccessful coup and successful insurrection in Washington, DC, any hopes of tranquility disappeared as we watched. The impeachment didn't help as I listened to the politicians mouth garbage.

I think I understand why after being lied to for years, manipulated by some media of the Russ Limbaugh ilk, the people are upset. I also understand how the people believe and want to act to right a wrong that does not exist. I also believe there are people who just want to cause trouble and mayhem.

I am angry at the manipulators, the arrogant, the dangerous, the greedy, the liars. Anger does not sit well with peace.

I can cocoon in either of my two homes. I can cuddle with my husband, walk my dog, enjoy the scenery. It should be enough but it is so hard to not look beyond.


No comments: