Monday, April 26, 2021

Quarantine, Lockdown

 


Since March 2020 I've been lockdowned, quarantined, limited to 1 kilometer, 10 kilometers and 100 kilometers in travel from my front door. I've had to fill out an attestation when I wanted to leave the house and subjected to a a 7 p.m. curfew and an 8 p.m. curfew.

I've not been able to go to my favorite or unfavorite restaurants. 

I have had two needles stuck in my arm and five q-tips on steroids stuck up my nose. 

I've given up hugs and having friends over either planned or spur of the moment.

We didn't do planned trips to Norway, Edinburgh, Toronto, Nova Scotia, Boston, St. Moritz. 

Not all at one time of course. 

If you think this is a complaint, you're wrong.

I haven't had Covid. I haven't given Covid to anyone. That makes me happy.

During this period my husband and I have written, read, laughed, watched TV, Netflix, cooked good meals and some less good, enjoyed our patio and walks limited to the latest kilometer boundary, played with the dog.

We've gathered a collection of surgical masks, including a present from my daughter with my dog's photo on it.

I'll admit I don't have much patience with the whiners who don't want to take precautions against the disease endangering others. And yes, I know I'm lucky that we still have income, a roof over our heads, enough food and are not in a tiny apartment with three kids which would have made the last 13 months much harder. But many of the whiners have similar situations and comforts to us. They just aren't used to not having what they want usually when they want it.

I'm also happy that unlike hundreds of thousands of other people in the world:

1. My house hasn't been bombed. In fact I have a roof over my head.
2. No gangs have threatened me.
3. I am not in a boat that may capsize any minute fleeing for my life.
4. I am not hungry.
5. The water I drink is not contaminated.
6. I have medicine that have helped me through cancer and high blood pressure.
7. I have all my limbs.
8. I have my eyesight.
9. I have my hearing.
 
Would I like the virus to go away so we could go back to normal or near normal? 
 
You betcha!
 
I did fantasize eating inside a restaurant although we could eat on a restaurant terrace for the first time in 13 months last week. Like all fantasies, reality can be a little different when realized in some form.
 
Until it is over, I will continue to count my blessings.
 
 
 

No comments: