Tuesday, September 07, 2021

RIP dumb phone

I am about to replace my Swiss dumb phone bought before there were smart phones. 

I do have a smart phone for my French life. I detest it.

I am not a Luddite. I'm on my third website. I use my laptop at a minimum six hours a day on most day. 

It's the telephone part I hate.  I consider the phone number a secret equivalent of the CIA, released only to those that I most love.

Whenever the phone rings when I'm out I have an urge to stamp on it until only slivers remain. Normally, I'm not a violent person. I try and save the lives of mice trapped by the cat, for example. I will even carry a spider outdoors to give him another chance. 



This would annoy my husband who considered it too expensive to be submitted to violence.

Why?

When I am out I don't want to be bothered with phone calls. I want to be disconnected to the world, including e-mails, social media and news. Dealing with the phone stops me from observing the leaf falling from the tree, the little boy riding a bike, a beautiful dog all the things that if find interesting and beautiful and exist only for the moment. I can deal with what messages the phone contain when I am home. 

On the positive side, if I think of the phone as a camera, my murderous desire toward it subside.

I do see some advantages such as the GPS AP or when I need information about something that cannot wait until I get home.

More and more I need it for things like my QR code to show I'm safe to go into restaurants, etc. 

Equally annoying now is the verification codes needed for some purchases and banking. These often seem to get lost until all the information goes away. I haven't tested if the paper version works when I enter a restaurant.

If I hate smart phones why am I buying one? My dumb phone has decided not to let me text. I need a Swiss number for certain banking transactions. My French number won't do.

More and more I'm looking for peace in my life. The smart phone is a barrier to that. Bring on the smithereens.

 

No comments: