Saturday, September 11, 2021

Tradition


                                                                    

Fiddler on the Roof has a great song, "Tradition." 

Like most families, we have traditions that are important to us. One that has been special to my daughter and me is the Cafe du Soleil calendar.

The Café is the oldest brasserie in Geneva. Each year they put out a calendar with a different theme.

The café itself, was a favorite place when we lived nearby. When my daughter visited me, she would say she wasn't really in Switzerland until we had a fondue there, usually the first night. 

After she moved back to the States, I made sure I sent her a calendar each year. However, 2021, the café was closed by Covid. I told her that it would be the first time in a couple of decades, the tradition would not be continued.

Slowly restaurants reopened. Rick and I went to the café. Hanging up on the back wall was the 2021 calendar. There were two left. I grabbed one.

Themes over the years have been varied.. For example a recent one was cartoon heroes eating fondue in the restaurant. Another was fondue through the ages starting with cave men melting cheese over a fire and ending with a fondue at the café.

This year's showed the café from the outside and inside. As I looked at the drawings, I realized I had sat at every table shown. The table along the wall was where the Geneva Writers Group had lunch between our morning and afternoon workshops.



 This tradition is memory laden on many levels.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will always love that restaurant. So many memories.