Sunday, April 24, 2022

Cannon fodder

 


When I was pregnant, it was during the heyday of the Vietnam War. My husband only wanted a son, but I secretly was hoping for a girl.

There were two reasons. My younger brother was a horrible child regularly disturbing the home. To this day when someone has a boy, I feel a moment of sadness if the birth of a boy is announced along with gratitude the infant is healthy. Granted, some have turned into lovely children and adults that I've developed good relationships with or admire.

The other, I wasn't ready to provide cannon fodder of my child in some far away country for reasons that had little or nothing to do to protecting the homeland, and everything to do with protecting the military-industrialized complex, propaganda not withstanding. Over the years in most wars, the reasons disappear in time and those that died, died for nothing.

Few people realize that the U.S. has fought in 102 wars over its existence. That made for a lot of dead soldiers and a lot of dead civilians--cannon fodder. For what? Does anyone know why what each of those wars accomplished other than extinguishing lives too early?

Likewise, I thought of a pregnant woman in a far away land whose son my son might kill. Would it ruin his soul or would he have bought into the propaganda too? Would he think he killed for a noble cause?

I knew if I had a son and there was still a draft, I would take him to whatever country would offer him protection from the U.S. Armed Services. I would hope I would have raised him with the understanding why fighting for your country had little to do with reality and he would go with me.

This does not apply to places like the Ukraine or Vietnam (and others over time) where the country has been attacked by invaders.


I live in Switzerland where every male is expected to do military service until 34. Those who don't pay extra taxes or can substitute civilian service. However, Switzerland does not attack other countries. The military is there to protect from invasion. They do hire out such at the Vatican Guard. A look at their uniforms makes one suspect their main function is not the battlefield. There are other forms of protection that the Guard offers.

The idea of every youth doing some kind of formal service for their country is a good one, especially if kids are sent far from home and mingle with people who are very different. It might build better understanding between regions which is sadly lacking. A city boy and a farm boy might discover they have things in common.

I shudder that there is a game called Cannon Fodder described as Never So Much Fun. On duckduckgo.com it is described as:

"Cannon Fodder is a military-themed action game with strategy and shoot 'em up elements. The player controls a small squad of up to five soldiers. These soldiers are armed with machine guns which kill enemy infantry with a single round. Game developer Sensible Software Game publisher Virgin Interactive Entertainment, Inc. Game published 1994."

A form of violence brainwashing preparing young men to be cannon fodder. In the game, the players do not feel machine gun bullets tearing through their bodies. They have no idea why the enemy is their enemy. Perhaps their country overthrew the diplomatically elected president of the "enemy." Or maybe it is just to guarantee there will always be enough cannon fodder for the powers that be. 

I didn't have a son, thank goodness.

 

No comments: