Thursday, April 21, 2022

Clothing coding

My first classmate to die almost immediately after graduation had been a bit of a rebel by pre-1960s standards. His crime? He wore a boatneck jersey. This almost identical except it was white and yellow striped.

Needless to say, the administration went nuts when our entire class showed up in dresses made from burlap bags. I guess they didn't know at one time burlap bags were printed with flowers and designs for women who couldn't afford cloth for their kids' clothes.

My late friend Barbara, an anthropologist, claimed that all clothing is cultural coding. 

She was right. Throughout the ages, clothing has delivered messages. One of my fantasies is the Jean Calvin comes alive and is plunked down on the quai near Lake Léman with all the  young women walking around in bikinis. If he weren't already dead he'd have had a heart attack on the spot.

If early man were concerned with covering himself, over the centuries styles have come and gone. A Roman and/or Egyptian might have been confused with men's slacks. 

Only in the 20th century did western women reveal her legs (and maybe more). Men were able to control themselves most of the time and the god dids not send any other the normal storms to wipe out the species for their sins.

 

Clothing also reflects social status, although I wonder if a cave woman wearing mammoth skin was considered lower class compared to a woman wearing a bear fur.

Clothing was and is a way of maintaining control. Think of maid's uniforms. English school children still wear uniforms.

Back in the dark ages we had to wear skirts or dresses to school and that included university, although it was beginning to break down. I suspect you could have a treasure hunt to find girls in dresses or skirts on most campuses today and give the winner a semester's free tuition if they could find five.

When I went to work, all female staff petitioned our male boss (aside from the printer/janitor the only male)  agreed to let us wear slacks to work. We were never in contact with the public. He relented -- but they had to be stylish with creases, combined with a nice blouse and preferable a suit jacket.

My job in Geneva was varied. 

Meeting with clients? Stuffy business suit. Spending time in the print shop on new publications or just buried in my office for the day? Jeans.

I've been fascinated by the clothing in the TV series Suits. I've never been in a law office where the staff wore thigh-slit skits and showed off so much cleavage. That comment is not from jealousy because of lack of cleavage on my body.

I know I dress differently in France and Switzerland. More Bohemian writer in France, and slightly more office casual depending on where I'm going in Switzerland. I think of the couple that was turned down for citizenship because they wore sweats into their village.

Today we are alternating downpours with normal rain. Tonight we are having an apéro for Rick's birthday. I'm wearing jeans and my sweatshirt that says "I am a writer. Anything you say may be used in a story." 

I warned you. Another message delivered by clothing.




No comments: