Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Darn Tourists

 

Donna Leon in her book Falling in Love, rails against tourists in Venice. Although written a couple of years ago, the frustration goes on. I've been reading about major cities that are tired of the hordes of people descending on their living space. 

Recently, Venice is thinking of charging people just for being there.

In Barcelona, people have thrown things at tourists. Cruise ships may be  limited. I will say, limiting tourists will hurt the pickpockets that ruin so many trips there for people.

We understand. Where we have a second home in Argelès-sur-mer, France, every summer the village's population increases by 10% or more. No more can we stroll through the marché but feel more like a salmon going upstream no matter what direction we walk in.

Sand at the beach is hidden under towels. 

Lines are everywhere.

This summer we escaped to our first home in a quiet village outside Geneva.

Tourists do bring income. 

Our ASM tourists are of all nationalities, usually not American. Some who come every year have become friends.

Even with my American birth, I can easily understand the rudeness does not go down well.

There was the woman on the TGV complaining that the travel company had booked her into second class when she paid for first and the view outside the train was better from first class.

Or the woman, holding a cheap Eifel Tower statue demanding of the seller in a voice that probably could be heard on the other side of Seine, "Is this the real McCoy?"

I've been a tourist as well and try to be polite, but sometimes those that serve the tourists are less than wonderful. 

I was in Davos, home of the World Economic Forum, and wanted to buy a cup for my daughter's cup collection. My German, never mind my Swiss German, is underwonderful, but the shopkeeper and I were talking. 

The shopowner had an attitude as if I hadn't showered for several days, UNTIL he saw my Swiss identity card. In a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde transition, he became charming.

The problem of tourists can be on both sides. I understand how locals find themselves shuttled aside. I understand how service people can have the-straw-that-broke-the camel's-back syndrome.

I guess it's like eating too much of a favorite food until becoming sick.


No comments: