Sunday, August 04, 2024

Pencils and Presidents

 

"Each morning you will sharpen three pencils and put them in this container, points down," the man interviewing me for a job said. I didn't say, "As-hole," but I ended the interview immediately.

My mother had been a good role model for an independent woman. She started two businesses in the 40s and 50s. One was making cloth toys to sell by mail order. The second was selling women's clothing at house parties alà Tupperware. In both she had employees. 

The  dolls were a cottage industry with women throughout our town sewing away. She hired women to do the house parties and/or fashion shows. 

Management consultants would have shuddered. There was no formal structure. If there had been titles, my mother would have been president.

The real world was nothing like my mother's. Women were subservient. At different times:

  • I was told I had all the qualifications, but I was a woman.
  • While lobbying for the ERA, a legislator asked, "Why does a sweet little girl like you care about that?"
  • "A boss said he liked hiring women as managers. They worked harder and could be paid less than a man."
  • A company I worked for wouldn't give a large office to a woman senior manager because it might upset the men who had smaller ones. 
  • I couldn't get a car loan because, "You're divorced." My ex got a loan from the same bank. We were both employed.

At 16, I lucked out and ended up as a cub reporter (see photo). My mother had made me learn to type, saying if I could type, I would always find work. She was right.

My working life overlapped with the woman's movement. I lived to see a woman run for president. Although I have great respect and admiration for Hillary, as an ex-American, I couldn't vote for her.

I cringe when I hear Trump rant and question Harris's intelligence which far outweighs his. I still can't vote for a second woman for president, but I would if I could not because she's a woman, but because she will make a good president not destroy it.  

 

 


 

 


No comments: