Friday, September 06, 2024

A no buy year

 

"They mention a no-buy year," my husband said as he read new from his phone. It was one of those great morning where we read in bed sharing miscelleanous information or clever wording before we have to start the "official" day.

"I had a no-buy year before you came back into my life," I tell him. It was about 15 years ago. I'd retired and lived in my Nest, a studio in the south of France. Part of my time I shared a house with a friend in Geneva.

I felt I had everything, and I mean everything I wanted, but still from time to time I would buy something. 

Supposing I didn't buy anything for a year, I had wondered.

Food was a necessity, of course. 

I eliminated tickets...bus and train, so I could move around. I'd not had a car for over 20 years because public transportation was fantastic. Why bother with that annoyance and costs?

I had clothes for every possible need and reason, dressy to sloppy. My laptop was new and my printer could print 100s and 100s of pages on a cartridge (no more).

I could use the library for books in Geneva and a friend in France ran an English bookstore where we swapped services for books.

Hmm...my underpants were ratty. As part of my preparation for a no-buy year in December I bought new, color-co-ordinated panties to my bras. Color-coordination makes me feel more feminine.

I started my no-buy year in January and ended it at New Years. 

What did I miss? Buying French history magazines for train trips? That was about it.

Was a special Swiss black chocolate from Auer's buying something? One time yes, then no. Chocolate could be considered a vegetable, maybe.

My mop in the Nest broke. I could wash the almost white tile on my hands and knees. Nah ...I gave in. I still have that mop and clean floors that do not involve sore knees.

I went to Stuttgart where I once lived for the Christmas market--not to buy anything but to wander around places I so enjoyed as a new bride. I didn't need Christmas gifts. I made them that year from things I already had.

And then I saw it -- a poster of a typewriter, not any typewriter, but the brand where my father once had a franchise. It was the same brand I typed on as a cub reporter. The cost was 15 Euros. Should I? 

I talked with the stand owner. I suppose I could go back to Germany and try and find him. He wasn't thrilled with the idea of mailing me one in the new year. I gave in.

When the no buy year ended did I rush to the nearest mall? Nope. There was still nothing I needed or really wanted. 

Many years later when I wander in the marchés, I might see a sweater, slippers, I like and will buy them. I've added art work to my walls and of course a special frame for the typewriter poster.

I also added a husband who is not a no-buy person. I cringe when he says "we need to buy..." I admit sometimes we do.

All in all it was an interesting experiment in non-consumerism.

One thing we do need...a better office chair for him. 

Photo by guest in the Nest, K. Barron.






No comments: