Sunday, August 28, 2005

The end of the pan saga and other misc. stuff

The pan saga is over. The copper pots look so beautiful hanging between the baskets and dried plants from my wooden beams means I am going to keep them. Beauty is one of the criteria that I buy things. Sabrina, the antique dealer is on the outlook for someone to reline them and also for tin-lined copper pots.

Cooking strike – despite a surfeit of pots, I have had no desire to cook this weekend. Except for fruit, nothing to eat is in the house – except for fresh fruit. I ate at Les Flowers last night: magret de canard in a Banyuls sauce and resisted licking my plate. La Noisette served me a Scottish breakfast, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. Pizza tonight. One of the delights of living alone is that meals can be eaten whenever I want with whatever I want. Most of the time when I do cook, I lay the table so it looks wonderful improving my meal. Like my mother, I sometimes read old Gourmet magazines with my meal.

Franck, the owner of La Noisette, is looking frazzled. The end of the season, the end of his wife’s pregnancy, his mother-in-law from India staying and helping are all are taking their toll. If the waitress Sophie can open the next two Mondays, he’ll stay open. If not he’ll begin the off-season schedule of closing Sunday afternoons and all day Monday.

Barbara will be able to walk up the stairs to share a pizza as we watch the Sunday US and British political talk shows. The French ones seem to have been suspended for the summer.

The only thing I want to buy except for food between now and the end of the year is a raincoat, but only if I pass one in a store window.

Isabel is due home tomorrow. She is a French neighbor. Her husband, a historian, gave up teaching to do technical lighting for the theatre. She is the business end. They have renovated a house and she just had a baby or a small elephant. Between the size and the fact he wanted to come out rear end first, they took him by caesarian. Worn out, Isabel fell victim to an infection and spent the last week back in the hospital. Sister-in-law and best friend Valerie who also gave up teaching to start her own business, lives with the couple in the four-story house. Meanwhile Goran is contentedly eating and sleeping. There is something wonderful about seeing young people refusing to do what they dislike for things that they love. They also organize the theatre festival that I wrote about earlier.

The markets are awash in fresh figs that fall apart in sweetness in my mouth. It is hard to believe anything that good was good for you. However I went to my favourite nutrional web site http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl However, it doesn’t diminish my desire for chocolate.

Speaking of chocolate a truck loaded with chocolate syrup caught fire and the smell of burning chocolate conjured up images of chocolate delights anywhere in the region where the winds carried the smell.

Christina, the hotel and art studio owner, has gone to Denmark for a week. She has given me the key to her house and I have an open invitation to sit on her terrace over the atelier where the artists work anytime I want.

This afternoon I will write. Life is good.

No comments: