Tuesday, August 30, 2005

RB2 descends again

I had just settled down with my needlework and waiting for Jonathan Creek to start on the BBC, when RB2 called. A few minutes later I heard his motor scooter chug to a halt outside. I threw the keys down to the street.

He checked his email then went to work on my computer restoring my Mozilla Firefox, adding webshot photos to my revolving wallpaper, setting me up so I can move from web site to website by a right click and drawing a line in the direction I want to go.


I showed him property for sale sites in Geneva and we discussed the practicality of me buying a place there. He showed me the kid computer he was going to buy for his son. He reported his train loving son thought him a bit of a hero for arriving in Perpignan on Sunday in a double decker TGV. At four it is easy to win the admiration of your offspring. When Tim is 17, I hope RB2 remembers these moments.

He left well after midnight.

Years ago when he was working in Frankfurt and I was in Switzerland, he called at 5 in the afternoon. “Wanta play backgammon tonight?” Five hours later he pulled in and we played all night. After a nap, a good meal prepared by my friend Florian, he was back on the road (he is a computer consultant and works all over the world).

I expect the unexpected from him.

May he always drop in unexpectedly.

No comments: