Monday, August 08, 2005

The new fan

The fan had appeared in my studio sometime in 1993. People who I loan the flat to often leave me things they think I need in place of the rent I refuse to accept. A place that nourishes my soul should not be a profit base.

The fan stood about as high as I am. This year it became too noisy, and its head drooped like sunflowers that have gone too long between rains. Those who know me understand that I don’t replace or buy easily. I really, really, really need to want something before I buy.

Thus when I passed a new fan on sale for €29.30 while doing errands with Barbara it went into the shopping cart faster than Superman leaping buildings in a single bound (only the direction was down not up).

Some assembly was required. When the talent to put things together was being handed out, I was in the elbow line. After only three attempts, the fan was standing upright and working. I emailed my daughter, who usually gets a list of things to fix when she visits me. She told me to pat myself on the back, but I suspect she figures she will need to do some adjustments next time she is here. She won’t.

Unlike the old fan which took up a lot of space, this one stands hip height, is rectangle and is about six inches square resembling a modern piece of sculpture, far less intrusive in a small space than the old one, which was happily accepted by the young kids living under me. Droopy fans are better than no fans. It works as well. I hope it lasts as long.

No comments: