Friday, September 02, 2005

Customers Barbara can do without

Although she was attractive in a way that French women are in her black dress that accented her slimness and her long black hair piled carelessly on her head, she walked around Barbara’s store, muttering she wanted something original.

“I don’t like this.”

“This doesn’t please me.”

“This isn’t original.” (Barbara had designed and made the pants herself)

Despite working for Barbara, I said, “Perhaps you would like to try the store up the street.”

She tried on a poncho and as I helped her out of it, I could smell the Banyuls sweating out of her pores. She eyed two necklaces. Both times her hair caught in the clasp and I had to extricate her.

“Your clothes are ugly,” she said.

I didn’t say, “Perhaps you would prefer to wear them inside out like your dress.” I was afraid she would strip. The strap had already slipped once exposing her breast.

“How much for the poncho and two necklaces?”

“45 Euros.”

“I’ll be back tomorrow. The bank is closed. I’ll be back tomorrow.”

I glanced at my watch. The banks would be open for another hour. She floated out of the store. This is now the next day and she didn’t come back.

No comments: