Saturday, September 10, 2005

Time warp

Leaving the house at nine thirty to do a couple of errands I thought I’d be back in twenty minutes. When I next turned the key in the lock the church bell was pealing twelve times.

Granted it was the marché which meant chatting with Joel, the olive seller, who is also starting his own line of perfume in hopes that Argelès will become the new Grasse, http://www.ville-grasse.fr the perfume center of the world.

Visiting with Barbara in her store left me talking with couples from Holland, Luxembourg and of course Denmark, selling a couple of books for her. Having tea at La Noisette with Robin and Ruth, seeing Isabel who ventured out after her illness following the birth of Goran caused more welcomed delays. Then Elaine, the woman who bubbles all the time, passed by. Of course who would miss catching up on the news?

Dani, the fishmonger, had to give me a recipe and Leo, the cheese maker, told me his wife who sells us the goat mean was okay.

Of course as long as I was there, I needed to check out the fall vegetables. Mushrooms from the mountains are beginning to appear.

Jean-Pierre helped me choose two bottles of wind, reminding me that I should open the bottle at least a half hour before drinking them.

Later this afternoon when I go to buy a train ticket for Geneva, the streets will be deserted. It might take twenty minutes. He talked about Chris' painting of his store where he stood in the corner.

Later this afternoon when I go to buy a train ticket for Geneva, the streets will be deserted. It might take twenty minutes.

No comments: