Friday, September 23, 2005

Eat your dinner -- children are staving...

When I was young, I was told to eat my dinner that children were starving the Europe. My younger brother ate because of hungry children in China. My daughter wasn’t told that, because I don’t believe it helps children eat, but if I had I would said Africa.

Now people in Europe can tell their children to eat their dinner. Children are starving in America.

Some stats and their sources.

More than one-third (38%) of families leaving welfare reported that they ran out of food and did not have money for more. (Urban Institute - 2001)

Approximately 7 million different people receive assistance in any given week (America's Second Harvest - 2001)

96,000,000,000 pounds of food is thrown away each year by the Food Service Industry. (Source: FoodChain)

33.6 million people including almost 13 million children live in households that experience hunger or the risk of hunger. This represents approximately one in ten households in the United States (10.7 percent). (Bread for the World Institute - 2002)

No comments: