Monday, March 06, 2006

2x in 16 years

Whenever it snows I find myself singing Winter Wonderland, although no one listening would recognize my version. Sunday morning as I slogged through the snow to the bus to catch an early train to Payerne the melody beat in my head.

Because it is the 78th Car Show, all the canton flags big enough to cover at least three king-sized beds decorated the Pont du Mont Blanc and the Jet d’Eau could be seen through the flakes.

More people tramped through Cornavin train station than at rush hour on Monday, mostly men and boys on their way to see the latest automobile models. It is easier to live on the left bank not the right bank near Palexpo where the car show takes place. At least I can get away from it and there aren’t thousands of people crowding a bus I want to take home.

I got up to the voie and there was a message on the board “10 min. retard”. The train was late, which would mean I would miss my connection in Lausanne. I have used Swiss trains since 1990 sometimes on a daily, sometimes on a weekly basis and never less than once a month. This was only the second time a train was late.

Nothing could be done except to take out my natel (cell) which is in a fluffy Dalmatian dog case and advised Florian I would come in an hour later.

When the train did pull in, it was one of the sleek double deckers. I mounted the stairs to the second story and as we plunged through the swirling snow I wasn’t the least bothered as the scenery passed. Being late twice in sixteen years is fine when there is such beauty to look at as I rode through a Winter Wonderland. This will be a record snowfall for Switzerland.

No comments: