Thursday, March 30, 2006

Spring memories

Fresh peas and baby potatoes about the size of a fingernail are on the market now. As much as robins, this is another sign that spring may still make it. The unpeeled potatoes steamed in a little olive oil and fresh sage (good for the memory) are wonderful. The peas need only to be cooked for a couple of minutes and then sprinkled with butter and/or cream and fresh mint.

Most of Europe is warmer causing the potential of floods in Czech from rains and snow melting too fast.

I think of my former neighbors whom I still miss. My dog Mika preferred their house to mine, and seldom would go by their door without scratching to be let in. Of course he was then hand fed salami as he sat in a place of honour on the couch and told how beautiful he was. No wonder he loved them.

I benefited as well. They preferred bread from Prague and every couple of days a loaf would arrive in the diplomatic pouch. Too much for them to consume, I would find a third of the loaf hanging on my door.

Many people in Geneva tend not to make friends with internationals who have limited contracts because they will only lose them. I would rather have had their four years of friendship than missed knowing them.

One of my fondest memories is having the man help me open my rusted plant holders on my balcony. He and I were speaking English. His wife was making suggestions. She and I were speaking French. His daughter and son-in-law who were visiting and I communicated in my bad German, and of course the family was speaking Czech. Despite the polyglot atmosphere the plant holders were fixed and I could plant my geraniums.

Spring is the time of renawal and I will write them as they do me.

1 comment:

DL NELSON said...

2 a.m. and still coherent!
Wonderful- Julia