Thursday, March 30, 2006

Merry Christmas -- Solved

I know Christmas is still nine months away, but when it involves international travel it is good to plan in advance. Our original idea was to go Thailand to spend it with a Syrian friend, but my daughter’s work schedule would have meant she would have spent more time in the air than there and the cost was budget-choking. (I still have to tell Yara but I haven't ruled out a trip to Thailand at another time).

Plan II would have been to spend it in Geneva. My housemate’s family would have been there and my daughter and Marina would both be welcome for a full house. Presents would be downplayed with a secret drawing rather than excess, which was indeed welcome. However, the trip was still too far for her for the too little time that she had.

Then the problem of where came up. With the several ton elephant that exists between my daughter and I we needed a place that the elephant wasn’t welcome. She suggested my step-mom’s. My step-mom loved the idea. I did mention it was only a maybe but she was so excited that any other alternative seemed unreasonable.

Today I booked my ticket for December 16-Dec. 31. Although my daughter won’t be able to spend a long time, I will have a good amount of time with my mom, and my daughter is talking about an elephant-trip to Geneva in November to see her old hash friends, have a fondue at the Café du Soleil and check out my new home, which she hasn’t seen (I don’t think unless she cat sat once for my housemate).

Christmas solved.

No comments: