Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The potato

For years I have tried to travel with only carry-on luggage no matter how long a trip, but when I am required to spend a week at a conference with dress requirements plus lug a laptop, carry on gives way to “I’ll check the d--- thing.” Thus I found myself lining up at the carousel in Dublin waiting for the green bag with the blue ribbon.

Push chairs, blue, red, black, green bags came, but the most interesting piece of luggage that no one claimed despite repeated turns was a fairly large potato. I was so engrossed in the potato and in guessing why someone brought it that I almost missed my bag’s arrival. Although I pulled my bag off, I was tempted to wait to see who claimed the potato, but then it disappeared.

It will remain one of those mysteries of life along with who was behind John Kennedy’s killing and where is Jimmy Hoffa. At least we know who deep throat is.

No comments: