Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Frantic

My hands trembled as I called the Englewood, FL Sheriff’s office for the second time today. Since Saturday I had been trying to reach my mom. I wanted to ask about Connie’s funeral, talk about her hot water heater, mention Tim Russert’s death.

I called all hours. The answering machine wasn’t on. I thought she could be in the shower, at coffee hour, church, picking up the mail, asleep and can’t hear the phone. But not the number of times I called.

I tried to suppress the worry: did a blog, wrote on the novel, did the world round up section of my newsletter, went out and had conversation and espresso with Rosella the potter, made lunch, skyped with my kid.

And periodically I called my mom. I used voipcheap, I used the land line. Nothing.
Finally I asked the police to check.

They took down the normal information, asked about her car. I could tell them is was a blue convertible with the license plate 49T, a family tradition. They took my number but told me to call back.

I tried to think the best way to get to the States fast, Barcelona, Paris, Geneva. Where were their transportation strikes and blockades because of fuel prices? Where would it be best to go back to? Was Willie still running his service from Tampa to Englewood or should I crash at a hotel there and rent a car the next day when I wouldn’t be too tired to drive. In my daughter’s and my Skype I told her I wish she was here with me so she could share my pacing or make a cup of tea. Or I was there with her. She agreed. When I had first said how worried I was she thought having the police check was a good idea.

I did. They said she was fine. I had been pacing with the telephone. I fell onto the couch barely able to stand.

“She says she’ll be home all day.”

“Thank-you, thank-you,” I said to the girl on the phone. “I felt so helpless over here.”

“I know. I was in Australia when a hurricane hit Florida, and I couldn’t reach my parents. I was frantic.

Frantic was a good word.

I called my mom again. No answer. There is probably a problem with her phone, but she’s okay.

3 comments:

Catherine Nelson-Pollard said...

Glad she's OK.

Melissa Miller said...

phew!

Sue Guiney said...

I'm so glad she's okay. I know how you feel, though. I was in London on 9/11 and my parents live in midtown Manhattan. I called and called but the lines were so overcrowded I couldn't even get a dial tone. There was no way to get through for a good 24 hours, and I've never felt so scared and helpless in my life. And of course, everyone was fine -- at least in my family. But how can you not worry when you care so much?