Saturday, April 12, 2014

My Annie Clock


PART 1
The character in my Third Culture Kid Novels is named Annie. She's a multi-lingual, history-loving, Third Culture Kid who is able to earn enough money as a tech writer to only work six months a year. Regularly, much to the annoyance of her lover, the police chief in Argelès-sur-mer, whenever she's in places like Paris, Geneva, Ely, etc. where she takes short-term assignments, she tumbles across dead bodies.

I've loved working with Annie, who has almost become a real person to me. I've watched her grow up while remaining true to herself. Sometimes she frustrates me almost as much as she does her lover. I'm jealous of the fact she speaks four languages.

In December, I saw "Annie" at the Geneva Escalade festival celebrating the defeat of the French. She was giving out hugs, something my Annie would do. The hug-giving Annie was the way I'd always pictured my heroine like that woman with her long red curly hair and out-going, personality.

Rick took a photo.

PART 2
Pauline Stonehouse is a favourite artist of mine who is a neighbour in France when she isn't in the UK. We have two of her paintings in the warren (the downstairs apartment where Rick and I live) and one in the nest (my studio, which is described often in my novels). 

Thus when I saw that she was creating clocks on plates with named characters, I begged for her to paint one with Annie. Rick gave her a photo of blood-and-flesh Escalade Annie (we never did learn her real name).

Last night (Friday) Pauline arrived from the UK along with husband, a mutual friend and two dogs. Pauline was clutching what I first thought was a pizza box. I did wonder since we had invited them to dinner after their long drive, why she bought a pizza -- I've never poisoned her with other meals.

It turned out to be my Annie Clock.

PART 3
The battery is in and Annie now graces my bedroom wall. I can wake up in the morning and she'll already be directing me on how to write her next adventure.

Thank you Pauline...thank you thank you thank you.


No comments: