Saturday, April 05, 2014

The Chase


When I visited my mom in Florida, each night we'd watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. I often knew a lot of the answers, and she'd say "You're so smart." In reality, I read a lot, but I liked that she thought me "smart."

When I was first in Switzerland I watched the French Wheel of Fortune. I knew I was making progress in French when I was able to guess the answer.

Now the French Password Mot de passe is helping me build vocabulary. I've even forced Rick to watch it as an easier than normal French Lesson. And there's the Maillon Faible, the French Weakest Leak.  Qui veux gagner des millions (Who Wants to be a Millionaire).

I've always loved knowledge quiz shows and games. Years ago when the DCU board and senior staff were on retreat after a dinner we played Trivial Pursuit. I'm still chuffed that I knew 3 European countries starting with A: Andorra, Austria and Armenia. No one else did -- he he he.

However, my new quiz show love is The Chase. Not the American version with that insipid woman, but with Bradley, Shaun, Paul, Mark (who is on the American one) and Anne, old Frosty Knickers herself.

It started when I was waiting for Rick to finish work when we were in Brighton and I was channel surfing and caught the second half. Later I found it on ITV in Geneva. YES!

I was watching one night in Geneva when J wandered in and asked, "What's the program." She sat down and was hooked immediately. Thus each night we watch an episode, not always the new one because we tape them to watch later.

She and I would make great contestants if (we could dress as Siamese twins). Our combined knowledge would make us one good contestant. The problem with either of us ever being on a quiz show in England, France, Switzerland or the US, is that by living in these different places we have some in-depth knowledge and some gaping holes. Since we look nothing alike and are of different heights I doubt the Siamese twins act would fool anyone.

We have a friend who is slated to be contestant. Afterward I want to ask her these questions?
1. Do you get to meet the team before?
2. Do you work out a strategy?
3. Do you get to meet Bradley (host)?
4. Does someone ask you questions so Bradley can zoom on things to ask you before he chats you up?
5. When Bradley says, "We'll be back after the break," do you really delay or go on and they insert the adverts (this is the UK remember and they have adverts) later?¨
6. Do you ever get to meet The Chaser in person?
7. Do they give you any idea what the difference is between set A and B questions?
8. Do they only film one a day or are their several filmed during the same day?
9. How many cameras do they use?
10. For the contestants that use glasses who puts them on the table before they meet The Chaser or do the contestants carry them?

As the publicity for the National Enquirer used to say, "Inquiring Minds Want to Know."




1 comment:

Ginger Dawn...A Spice Below The Horizon said...

Ha! I learned most of my Italian from Wheel of Fortune! Oh and an Italian soap opera or two.