Friday, July 05, 2019

Gaff or ignorance





Nary an airplane in sight

I was walking down the congressional building in D.C. with Solomon Yue of the Republican Oversees Committee. I was one of the few Democrats there to talk to various Republican congressmen on the damage FATCA was doing to American expats. It was shortly after my filmed testimony was presented to the committee looking into the issue.

We were talking about Trump and Yue was pleased Trump was keeping his promises. (The promises could be the subject for another blog, but I won't write it) I asked him if he had read the transcript of a speech Trump gave. He had not. I pointed out it bordered on incoherent. My opinion, unqualified but from observation, was the man was either demented or suffering from Alzheimer's. Yue changed the subject.

On July 4, 2019, another example taken from Rolling Stone, even more frightening  happened. (I also listened to the video to verify what appeared).

“In June of 1775 the Continental Congress created a unified Army out of the Revolutionary Forces encamped around Boston and New York, and named after the great George Washington, commander-in-chief. The Continental Army suffered a bitter winter of Valley Forge, found glory across the waters of the Delaware and seized victory from Cornwallis of Yorktown.” Trump said.

“Our Army manned the air, it rammed (?) the ramparts, it took over airports, it did everything it had to do. And at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, had nothing but victory. When dawn came, the star-spangled banner waved defiant.”

Even if an ignorant speech writer wrote that, the president of the United States, any president of the United States, should know that airplanes were non-existent. Fort McHenry was several decades later during the war of 1812.

This is the person who has the power to destroy the world in many different ways.

I tell my friends, when I see the American Flag these days, I feel fear...fear of what the US is going to do next and to whom.

Now I am no longer afraid.

I am terrified.

No comments: