Monday, December 14, 2020

Dr? Biden? Bartlet? Bruhaha



The Joseph Epstein comments on not calling Dr. Jill Biden Dr. Biden (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jill-biden-wall-street-journal-op-ed-joseph-epstein-doctor/) triggered thoughts on my own lack of completion of a Ph.D. program. I used to joke that when I got the degree I wanted to be called Dr. Donna.

The reasons I dropped out, were:

  • In my 50s, I didn't need it
  • It was hurting my fiction writing
  • I was too old to play academic games.

I had just finished a masters at Glamorgan University in Wales which had let me work with a number of high quality professional writers directly and indirectly for my fiction. It was truly a growth experience for my craft.

The academic side was a little more frustrating. My thesis was on Repeated Symbolism in John Irving's Novels. My advisor and I went round and round on the part biography played. I gave in, but two years after getting my degree, John Irving gave an interview supporting my viewpoint. I mailed a copy to Dr. Clark. He apologized.

Getting a doctorate in any discipline is difficult. Some might be more difficult than others. 

The comments that Dr. Biden should drop the Biden was totally uncalled for and misogynistic at best. That she isn't a medical doctor doesn't make her less of a doctor. 

Wikipedia defines doctor as:

"an academic title that originates from the Latin word of the same spelling and meaning.[1] The word is originally an agentive noun of the Latin verb docēre [dɔˈkeːrɛ] 'to teach'. It has been used as an academic title in Europe since the 13th century, when the first doctorates were awarded at the University of Bologna and the University of Paris. Having become established in European universities, this usage spread around the world. Contracted "Dr" or "Dr.", it is used as a designation for a person who has obtained a doctorate (e.g. PhD). In many parts of the world it is also used by medical practitioners, regardless of whether or not they hold a doctoral-level degree"

I've noticed in the UK medical doctors are often called Mr.

In West Wing the president's wife Abbey Bartlet was a medical doctor and insisted on being called Dr. "The President and Dr. Bartlet" sounded just fine as will "The President and Dr. Biden."

Somehow in this pandemic world with hunger, climate change, poverty and war Epstein's comments that of a male Karen. He may be jealous as he only holds a B.A.



No comments: