Friday, March 26, 2021

Communication

Between us Rick and I have almost 100 years of communication experience from university level courses, professional courses, journalism, marketing, PR and internal communications within many corporations.

This is what left us wondering about our skills.

 


Me: You didn't put the towels in the trunk? (we had brought two towels down from Geneva)

 


Him: I haven't been to the car. (We need to park several blocks away. Our tiny street has 400-year old houses which were built long before cars of any width and garages were thought of.)

Me: Why do you need to go to the car?

Him: You asked me to put the towels in the trunk.

Me: You don't need to go to the car.

Him: The towels can't walk to the car.

I pause to think. The towels were on top of trunk where we store linens. His suitcases were still on top of it when I asked him.

Me: The trunk, the trunk. (I point but he's not looking) The trunk. (When I point he looks and understands.)

Him: That trunk.

Me: That trunk.

We both laugh. It is a case of neither of us being right or wrong. And then again sometimes we refer to the car trunk as the boot as our Brit friends do. And there are no elephant trunks in the neighborhood to confuse us even more.




No comments: