Friday, March 12, 2021

Vaccines and coincidence

  


I am in the target group for the vaccine in Switzerland: by age, cancer survivor and high blood pressure.

Although I am not an anti-vaxer, I am a skeptic having little faith in pharmaceutical companies not to put profit before people. 

Saying that, the Salk vaccine given to me as a child meant that in the summer I could go to the swimming pool and movies. I made sure my daughter had the regular vaccines saving her from measles and mumps.

Still today, the amount of vaccines pumped into bodies seems excessive.

I don't get the normal flu -- if there is anything such thing as normal flu -- vaccine for years. The two times I did get it, I had the flu. The first was when I was pregnant and I almost died. The second was given by my company and it took me a month to recover. I am not claiming the vaccine gave me the flu, but I don't think it was very effective. If I hadn't had the jab, I don't know if it would be worse or not at all.

And the rush to produce an anti-covoid vaccine and contradictory information does not leave me comfortable.


Yet I will get the vaccine on the 18th at 9:00. They selected the exact time as my regular cancer check up (5 years) at HUG (Hôpitaux universitaires de Genève).


I called HUG to change the appointment. They offered April 15th at 9:00. That was the exact date and time of my second shot. We made the HUG appointment for the following Monday.

Despite my misgivings, I will get the vaccine so I can travel. I will get it so I can hug people again. I will get it so I can eat in a restaurant when they finally open.

I will get it not just to reduce my chance of getting Covid. I do not want to be the person to give it to another.

And the coincidence of being given appointments the exact date and time of my cancer check twice, that's not an omen...is it? Is it? Is it? 


No comments: