Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Coat Test

Anyone who knows me knows I don’t wear winter coats. I wear sleeping bags, feather-lined quilted garments that cover me from ankle to hair. This year,my sleeping bag was getting tacky after two years of loyal service. Sadly I couldn’t find a replacement long enough to cover some of my favourite skirts and dresses.

Then I saw it near the Noga Hilton, a full-length leather coat. On sale. I negotiated the price lower (I used the difference to buy hat, gloves and scarf since it didn’t have a hood).

The only question was – would it be warm enough?

Today was the test. The bise had been blowing all night, making the house creak. The temperature was at 3° centigrade, a little above freezing, BUT the wind chill factor put it into the I-don’t-want-to-know category.

Munchkin, the cat who has her out-routine asked five times at the door, but each time, when the bise blew leaves into the hall backed up. Each time I reminded her that the temperature had not improved in the last five minutes. She walked to her litter box, but then gave it one more try. This time she didn’t get a choice. I threw her out, but let her back in about 90% earlier than normal.

Now it was my time. I had several stops (three bus changes, a walk to my old office, across a street to eat with a friend, a walk to the supermarket, two more bus changes, a walk to the library and three bus changes home all with misc. waits.)

The verdict: ta ta, drum roll, a trumpet. The coat held its own.

No comments: