Saturday, November 19, 2005

Robbert Race

I left my mobile on all day in case Rb2 called about out meet-up at the station before his train to Argelès. I also dialled his natel (cell phone) to no answer, but since he’s working in Lausanne, I supposed he turned it off.

When he did call, I was on another floor and galloped up the stairs too late. The call-back produced no answer.

Then I checked my email. Message: “I’m getting in at 18:39.”

It was 17:55, the bus leaves at 18:01 and it is a good five minutes up the hill. Whirlwind activity of coat, keys, bag, phone, etc. Race up the hill. Arrive as bus is closing doors pant pant pant pant pant pant...

Connect with number 6 bus at the lake. This is rush hour. In most areas the bus has its own lane but crossing the Mont Blanc Quai we were trapped in traffic. 18:29.

18:32 Inched ahead
18:34 Inched ahead
18:36 Inched ahead

The station was in sight. “I’m so late could you possibly let me out?” I asked the driver when I realised it would be at least eight more minutes before we came to the bus stop.

He said he couldn’t. I said I understood.

The light changed. A car pulled in front of the bus. We got to the next light and it turned red. We STOPPED.

“Merde,” I said under my breath.

The driver opened the door for me without me asking. There has to be a special place in heaven for those who bend the rules wisely. “Vous êtes formidable. Je vous aime,” I said over my shoulder as I dashed out and made the station at 18:40.

Rb2's train arrived at 18:36. It is not a big station but full of people and even if the Swiss aren’t as tall as some other nationalities, my head was below most of theirs. His head wasn’t visible and of course the rest of him being missing.

Plan B was to do a tour of the station if my phone didn’t ring.

Plan C was to do a tour of the restaurants I knew he might frequent.

Plan D was to bump into him almost literally.

Plan D worked.

I asked why his phone wasn't working. He is the lover of phones. I hate them. He said he'd forgotten it.

An attempt to get a reservation at the Café du Soleil produced only a time after his train left. Tex Mex it was. Although we had seen each other just last month and although we’ve been in email contact there was much news to get caught up about.

Heading back to the station, less hungry than a couple of hours before and at a pace that is normal, we spied a gadget shop. Rb2 should have a bumper sticker reading “I break for gadgets” We watched a cartoon with Scat trying to keep his acorns together, checked out the Chris Rea Farewell Concert dates, and said good bye.

I WALKED to my bus.

No comments: