Thursday, November 24, 2005

Dick Pound's book on the Olympics

I stopped watching the Olympics a few years ago after the judging scandals, but I found this book fascinating.

One of the things I never understood was the saying, "What a shame he only won the silver." Even being in the Olympics struck me as an incredible feat, and to take second place still a mark of success.

Pound talks about Nike who had a campaign "He didn't win the Silver, he lost the Gold." Pound said that so was against the spirit of the Olympics that when Nike, an Olympic sponsor, refused to pull the campaign, Pound threatened to call a press conference with all the silver medalists denouncing the campaign. Nike caved.

I knew there is a reason that no one will ever see me with the words Nike anywhere on my person but then everyone knows I don't wear clothes with brand names unless I am paid to do so.

No comments: